Frugal Fashion Friday: How I Find Full Outfits Under $50 Each

When shopping, I do my best to avoid paying full price for a single item of clothing, which brings me to the third installment of Frugal Fashion Friday.


I seriously loathe spending more than $50 on a full outfit (and yes, that price includes shoes). I never saw the purpose of shelling out hundreds of dollars for a single outfit, when I can get dozens of mix and match pieces for the same price. There have been times that I've found name-brand dress pants for $0.69. I'd much sooner pay that than $100, even if it has been previously worn.

So, how do I get such awesome deals? Well, I utilize many different resources.

Thrift Stores

If you don't shop at thrift stores, you're missing out. And I really, really mean that. All fashion seekers should make use of thrift stores and consignment shops. You can find name-brand clothing for insane deals. A couple of weeks ago, I found a pair of pants in perfect condition for $3.99 and the next day, I saw the same exact pair of pants for $19 at Kohls.

My favorite thrift stores in my local area are Goodwill, Valley Thrift Store, and Huber Heights Community Thrift.

Garage Sales

Even though I don't have nearly as much luck at garage sales as I do at thrift stores, I love them just the same. Most of the time, I find vintage/retro accessories that pull together some of my thrift store finds. Occasionally, I'll find a gently worn pair of shoes for under $5 or a shirt that I can "upcycle" for even less. For a list of garage sales in your area, try Craigslist.

Clearance Racks

Some people think I'm crazy when I say that stores like Kohls, Elder-Beerman, and Macy's are too expensive for me. While they have some incredibly cute stuff, I just can't bring myself to pay $25 for a lightweight t-shirt or cardigan. Needless to say, when I find myself in one of these stores, I make my way to the clearance racks. The best way to get more bang for your buck is to buy out of season. For example, if it's spring, go to the clearance rack to buy winter clothing for next year---all for fantastic deals!

Walmart

I'm at Walmart quite a bit, so I often browse through the clothing aisles and clearance racks. On occasion, I'll pay $8 to $12 for a top that I just have to have and can't find anywhere else. Most of the time, though, I typically only go here for discount accessories and casual shoes. I've purchased shoes here for $5 to $12, which allows me to not have to risk wearing a single pair down too quickly. I also love to buy my infinity scarves here, because they usually have two for $4.96.

eBay

You really can't beat $3 for a satin blend button-up top in pristine condition. I have a few favorite sellers on here---many of which restock quite often. Instead of buying outright, I like to do the whole bidding thing. I know that it takes time, but I filter my search to find the lots ending soon. It makes the process go a little faster. The prices are worth it, though. Oh, before purchasing, ALWAYS check the sizing charts, especially when purchasing items from overseas. They often make their clothing waaaay smaller than the sizes here in America.

Discount Online Clothing Stores

There are literally dozens of online discount clothing stores where you can get items anywhere from $5.99 (sometimes less) to $15. Plus sizes are also available, and often times, you can find accessories on clearance for as little as $0.99. I typically use these websites as a last resort, simply because I find shipping costs to be a bit high. However, it's still worth it, and you can't beat these prices for brand new, never worn clothing.

Get Crafty

If you have scissors, a sewing machine, free time, and Pinterest, then you have all the tools you need to create your own clothing, upcycle your current clothing, and make accessories. I've created a drop-shoulder, ruffle-neck top before using one of my husband's old t-shirts and one of my old tops. It actually looks pretty damn awesome. I like to wear it with a waist belt. Even if you can't sew, there are hundreds of no-sew clothing tutorials on Pinterest.


Being fashionable doesn't require a huge wallet, nor does it require monthly trips to your local mall. In fact, the best deals are probably waiting for you right around the corner.

What's your greatest, most inexpensive fashion find?


 post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for engaging with Mommy's Castle!

I love comments! Yours will be visible after approval. I know it sucks to wait, but we have to keep the spammers away!

I like to keep up with my readers, so chances are, you'll be hearing a response from me soon!