Blogger Cliques: Where Do You Fit In?

Do you feel like there are cliques within the blogosphere?

When I first started Freelance Lady back in January 2011, I didn't feel like I fit in anywhere. I wanted to be a part of the mommy blogging clique, but it soon became clear to me that Freelance Lady didn't exactly meet the criteria. I mean, let's face it. I'm not incredibly funny--my humor is more on the verge of dry and sarcastic as opposed to the "laugh-out-loud" funny. At first, I didn't really write about my daily life much--I focused more on the seriousness of working from home. I started to get discouraged.

Don't get me wrong. I have never come across another blogger who was rude to me. I've never been teased for my niche, nor have I been made fun of for my content ("Oh, that is so last year!"). But that still doesn't change the fact that I felt alone.


I felt like I was in high school all over again. "The Drifter." I was drifting from community to community, similar to the way I drifted from lunch table to lunch table back in school, just trying to find my place. Eventually, I became a loner. I felt isolated from everyone else in the blogging world, as if I just simply didn't belong.

And then I let my blog go for awhile. I stopped writing. I started focusing more on improving myself and my outlook on life, which, I'm now certain was the reason I was thinking so negatively before. When I went back to my blog, I started writing about what I liked writing about. I stopped worrying about where I fit in, and instead worried about the readers that were engaging in my posts. It was at that moment that I realized, it doesn't matter where you fit in as a blogger. What matters is that you're doing what you want to do and offering something to others as well.

So, do you feel like there are cliques in the blogger world? If so, where do you fit in? What's your take on it?

post signature

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the follow! Following you back! Xoxo

    Nessaswrld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I can tell you this much: I really like you, and you're in MY bloggy clique. :-)

    I'm glad our paths have crossed, and your blogs are on my weekly checklist. Furthermore, I will always be grateful for the support you've shown to me, so thank you for that as well.

    Keep doing your thing, keep writing in your style, about the things that light you up.

    I know I'll be reading. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courtney, thank you very much. I really appreciate your support and I, too, am thankful for having come across your site. Thanks for the encouraging words!

      Delete
  3. Hey I know what you mean I too felt like I didn't belong anywhere in high school and making this blog brought all that back again like I'm starting to realize there's cliques in the blog community but hey there's no need in trying to fit in anywhere this isn't high school ha we blog because we love doing it<3 I have some pointless posts on my blog and I may not make sense on some ha ha but idc there isn't a rule in how you're supposed to blog, it's my blog I write down what I want and some people may stay and some may go but that doesn't matter it's people like YOU I love communicating with! You seem real and super sweet(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. :) It's all about doing what we love, and loving what we do. I, too, have some pointless posts, simply discussing my daily life, but not only is blogging a way to reach out to people who share the same interests, but it's also a personal release. Thank you so much for your comment. It really means a lot. I love your posts, especially your recipes! I tried the pancakes this morning, and they are delicious! My kids love them!

      Delete

Thank you for engaging with Mommy's Castle!

I love comments! Yours will be visible after approval. I know it sucks to wait, but we have to keep the spammers away!

I like to keep up with my readers, so chances are, you'll be hearing a response from me soon!