Homemade Chicken Salad Recipe

I love chicken salad. It's delicious. It's relatively easy. What I like most about it, though, is the versatility of the recipe. You can add dozens of different ingredients, most of which do not jeopardize the flavor. I've seen recipes that call for grapes, almonds, brown sugar, celery, and even fresh herbs.

My particular recipe is quite simple, because well, I'm a simple kind of girl. I like the tried and true and this chicken salad recipe has been with me since I was a child.

Instead of using canned chicken or chicken boiled in water---both of which make the chicken rather bland, in my opinion---I use chicken boiled in chicken broth. Eggs are added to shake up the texture, red bell peppers add color and flavor, and instead of old-fashioned mayo, I opt for Miracle Whip.


I like my chicken salad served on toasted wheat bread, but you can mix it up and try different types of bread, like ciabatta, rye, or even a biscuit. Like I said, chicken salad is incredibly versatile, so everything is up to you!

Get the printable version of this recipe!

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins
  • 6 chicken bouillon cubes
  • 1/2 cup red onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup Miracle Whip
  • 3 Tbsp. dill relish
  • 3 boiled eggs, shelled and chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. mustard
  • Salt & pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Place uncooked whole eggs into a medium saucepan and cover with water. Add one tablespoon of salt. Place on stove on high heat and bring to a boil. Boil eggs for 7 to 10 minutes, then remove from heat. Dump hot water, and replace with cold water. Set aside.
  2. Fill a large pot with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add 6 chicken bouillon cubes and stir until dissolved.
  3. Very carefully, add chicken tenderloins to the boiling pot with tongs. Boil for 10 to 15 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked (estimated time for 2 pounds chicken tenderloins).
  4. While chicken is boiling, peel and chop eggs, chop red bell pepper, chop onion, and place into a medium size bowl. Mix well and set aside.
  5. In a separate bowl, add Miracle Whip, mustard, and chopped dill pickle. Mix well. Add Miracle Whip mixture to boiled egg mixture.
  6. Remove chicken from the pot and place on a cutting board. Use a knife to chop the chicken into bite sized pieces. Alternatively, you may wait until the chicken cools, and shred with your fingers.
  7. Add chicken to Miracle Whip and egg mixture. Toss until chicken is well-coated.
  8. Add salt and pepper to taste. You may also add a bit of cayenne pepper, garlic powder, or even fresh dill.
  9. Serve on freshly toasted wheat bread, with raw spinach and mustard, if desired.

If you try this recipe, let me know what you think!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for engaging with Mommy's Castle!

I love comments! Yours will be visible after approval. I know it sucks to wait, but we have to keep the spammers away!

I like to keep up with my readers, so chances are, you'll be hearing a response from me soon!