The Repetitive Life of Motherhood

I swear, I feel like it's been winter for years. We've been cooped up in this house like chickens forever. Sometimes the kids run around like chickens, making strange sounds and trying to eat random things off of the floor. Eh. The dry air makes our skin itchy. The lack of sun makes us moody. We're not a very happy bunch. Even Buddha (our dog) does nothing but lie around anymore, grunting.


"Just leave me alone." - Buddha

Anyway, while I watched the snowflakes pile onto my driveway, I started thinking about how repetitive my life is in the winter. Cook. Clean. Guide Carter through his lessons. Cook. Clean. Play with the kids. Cook. Clean. Bathe the kids. Clean. Wash clothes. Bedtime. Repeat. We rarely get out of the house, especially since the temps have been below zero for what feels like a month.

There are times that I've asked myself, What's on the agenda tomorrow? knowing damn good and well that the answer is always the same. Stay inside. Cook. Clean. Guide Carter through his lessons. Eh, you get the rest. I think I do that just so that it'll seem like I have a life, at least.

Yeah right.

I haven't had a babysitter in a year. My husband and I haven't had a night out alone in even longer.

I barely remember what life was once like outside of my kids...

...Can you tell that I'm in a winter funk?

The more I thought, the more I realized that if those moments before my kids were so important, then I'd damn sure remember them, because it's been 7 years since my first child was born and I remember every smile, every laugh, every coo, every hug, every kiss. Everything.

And sure, I have days when I count down the minutes to when they'll turn 18, and I've had nights that I've just wanted to pull out my hair and cry, but guess what? Every single second has been worth it.

I love my job as a mama, even if it is a bit repetitive.

I love my little weirdos.

My children are my life. They are my little pals, my fountains of youth, my entire heart and soul. They are my PURPOSE. Being a mother is exhausting, yes. But it's because every single ounce of my energy is spilled into my children.

I don't regret that a bit.

#teammom


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for engaging with Mommy's Castle!

I love comments! Yours will be visible after approval. I know it sucks to wait, but we have to keep the spammers away!

I like to keep up with my readers, so chances are, you'll be hearing a response from me soon!