Breyers® Gelato Indulgences Review #GelatoLove

Triple Chocolate.

My family is a chocolate-loving bunch, so as soon as I saw the Breyers® Gelato Indulgences in Triple Chocolate, I had to have it.


Lucky for me, there was one left. The Breyers® Gelato Indulgences in-store display was completely bare, all except for this one lonely container of Triple Chocolate gelato. I thought to myself, it must be good. Just then, I saw another woman walking up to the freezer that I was eyeballing. No way I was going to let her have my Triple Chocolate! Time stood still...and then I reacted.

I swung the freezer door open, grabbed the container, threw it in my cart, and ran to checkout, with an adrenaline rush similar to the adrenaline created by Black Friday shopping.

Okay, so perhaps I over reacted. Oh well. I mean, got what I wanted.

When I got home, I didn't even unload the groceries before busting out the Breyers® Gelato Indulgences Triple Chocolate. I popped off the lid to reveal both dark and milk chocolate, with white and milk chocolate curls throughout. By this point, I was salivating.


I grabbed my handy ice-cream scoop and plopped two gooey balls of gelato into my bowl, plus two more in a separate bowl for my husband. I snapped a quick photo and prepared myself for the moment of truth. Was it really so good to leave the in-store freezers empty?


I smelled the gelato (I always smell food before I take a bite) and closed my eyes. Mmmmm! Yes! It was good. Perfectly smooth, somewhat of a frozen yogurt consistency. There were creamy swirls of white chocolate sauce that only added to the rich chocolate-y flavor of the gelato itself.

My husband, before taking a bite, remarked that "Gelato usually sucks." Despite this preconceived notion of his, he actually enjoyed Breyers® Gelato Indulgences.

While I was savoring every last bite, his remark made me wonder, What's the difference between gelato and ice cream? Seriously. Why is gelato so soft and smooth on your tongue, whereas ice cream is a bit more dense? Why does ice cream melt faster than gelato?

I honestly thought that "gelato" was simply the Italian word for ice cream--that there was no difference in consistency.

Apparently, I was wrong. While "gelato" is translated to "ice cream," it is not the same thing. Traditional American ice cream is made with heavy cream, and is mostly water, which is what causes it to melt more quickly. Gelato, on the other hand, uses more milk than heavy cream, which is why it has less fat. Gelato also has less air churned into it, as it is churned at a low speed, which gives it the "elastic" consistency that I have now come to love.

Have you tried Breyers® Gelato Indulgences? What did you think?

* I received Breyers® Gelato Indulgences for free for testing purposes via Influenster.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for engaging with Mommy's Castle!

I love comments! Yours will be visible after approval. I know it sucks to wait, but we have to keep the spammers away!

I like to keep up with my readers, so chances are, you'll be hearing a response from me soon!